DC-based Trade Association (confidential)
A DC-based manufacturing trade association is conducting a confidential search for a forward thinking, entrepreneurial Assistant Vice President of Membership. As member industry priorities shift in response to domestic and international market disruptors, there is an increasing need for a strategic and holistic approach to membership recruitment and retention initiatives. The VP will serve as a collaborative thought partner to the leadership team to help envision new programs and services that will raise the visibility of key market segments and catalyze growth for this diverse sector.
Essential among performance goals for this role is to develop a set of core metrics that tracks membership retention and recruitment by key membership segments. These metrics will support staff development of segmented member programs in areas such as market access, professional development, workforce development and advocacy.
The ideal candidate will be a highly innovative membership executive able to work cooperatively with volunteer leadership and staff to develop an effective member recruitment and retention program for the association. They will be able to think critically, creatively and collaboratively to showcase a member value proposition which empowers members to gain a competitive edge in the global economy. The candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for conducting in-person member visits, welcoming new ideas, working and ideating cross-functionally to ensure an integrated approach to member recruitment and retention. A high degree of emotional intelligence will be vital to engaging key stakeholders successfully.
The AVP will report to the Sr. Vice President and establish a strategic plan and direction for achieving the organization’s membership goals. The AVP will provide leadership and direction for all aspects of membership operations, strategic initiatives, and processes including developing effective membership campaigns. The position will work closely with peers in marketing/sales, finance, education, publications, communications, government relations and meetings/conventions to develop and execute collaborative membership attraction and retention strategies.
- Directs the development, coordination, and management of membership renewal and retention efforts and provides leadership and direction for membership growth and effectiveness;
- Develops data-driven strategies to grow membership; collects and analyzes data from a variety of sources to develop member-focused data-driven strategies to strengthen membership; directs membership retention/recruitment acquisitions efforts, all on a timely basis;
- Develops a collaborative working relationship with the other departments, to ensure that membership campaigns and support systems are integrated with program development, reflect safety, advocacy and other priorities and respond to the existing and anticipated needs of members and volunteers
- Develops, coordinates and evaluates all membership benefit offerings in terms of added value to the membership;
- Directs and implements annual membership directory data collection process,
- Directs and oversees content of the membership section of website
- With regard to Chapter Management, directs the development, coordination and management of Chapter relations program with the goal of strengthening communications and the link between the national and the chapters; and ensuring Chapter leadership has the resources and tools they need in the best interest of the membership.
- Provide leadership development training to chapter leadership
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years progressive association membership leadership experience from any sector – i.e. all trade association and professional society backgrounds are welcome.
- Strategic thinking, proactive and able to work with other staff under deadline.
- Ability to translate data into actionable business plans that can respond to market changes.
- Superior leadership and management skills and the ability to influence cross-functionally.
- A mature presence, credibility and gravitas; and the confidence to gain the respect of high-performing Board of Directors
- Active listening skills with the ability to receive, interpret and act on feedback in a constructive manner
- Self-reliance, excellent problem-solving skills and results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in marketing and communications
A modest relocation fee is available for candidates relocating from outside the Washington, DC metro area.
This is a retained search. Please submit a detailed cover letter explaining your fit and interest with the role, along with a resume customized to reflect your relevant competencies. Applications should be sent to Shira Harrington, Chief Engagement Officer, Purposeful Hire, Inc. at email@example.com.