Inmarsat, Washington, DC
As pioneers in satellite communication, Inmarsat has been at the forefront of mobile satellite services for more than three decades. With headquarters in London, they have a growing office in Washington (currently around 30 employees) developing partnerships and acquisitions with distributors worldwide. As a newly created role, the Senior Attorney will provide legal advice, mostly in the contractual area, to all areas and levels of the Company both directly and via the General Counsel with the primary focus on US activities.
This is a highly independent role with limited supervision from the General Counsel based in London. Significant career growth opportunities exist as their US operations expand. Position is located in downtown Washington, DC and is not suitable for teleworking as there will be collaborative interaction with local staff including the business development and regulatory teams.
The ability to work independently and a well-rounded personality with good interpersonal skills are key. The successful candidate will be someone who is confident, welcomes change and is comfortable with the prospect of increasing autonomy.
- Provide advice on contractual matters with an emphasis on government contracts, although commercial contracts will also be involved;
- Provide advice and support on transactional matters (e.g. due diligence) and possibly joint ventures/collaboration agreements;
- Handling of non-disclosure agreements and Technical Assistance Agreements (TAAs)
- Provide advice to U.S. and non-U.S. entities on U.S. export control compliance requirements and other U.S. prohibited country restrictions;
Specific Contractual Responsibilities
- Contractual changes or disputes in existing contracts with suppliers in the US/Canada, e.g. satellite contracts/terminal contracts/ground segment equipment/development contracts;
- New supply contracts, e.g. the purchase of ground segment equipment for company’s network or development contracts for new products; and
- Contracts with strategic partners involving distribution of the company’s services perhaps including joint product development and or volume commitments/leasing.
- Admitted to the DC Bar or other jurisdiction;
- At least three (3) years of relevant legal work experience;
- Work experience can be from private practice, in-house or a mixture;
- Some general commercial and/or negotiation experience;
- Self-confident and used to a degree of autonomy;
- Self-starter and highly capable of driving and managing own workload;
- Sound approach to risk management.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Approximately 3-4 years’ experience as an Associate or comparable level of in-house experience.
- Telcom /high-tech/IP experience with exposure to technical issues
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, such as:
- supply/customer contracts for goods and services,
- outsourcing contracts and licensing or distribution agreements, and
- development, teaming and collaborative arrangements
- Transactional work experience and/or experience with distribution arrangements;
- Experience with federal acquisition requirements
- General knowledge of U.S. export compliance requirements;
Commensurate with 3-4 years of legal experience post qualification using in-house corporate benchmarks. Candidates currently with law firm compensation packages may value work-life balance culture to offset pay differential.