Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI)
Representing 1300 international member companies in 40 countries and 21 U.S. chapters, ISRI is the unified voice for the scrap recycling industry – the first link in the global manufacturing supply chain. Scrap is not waste. It is a valuable commodity that meets 40% of manufacturers raw material needs. Playing a pivotal role in the economy, global trade, the environment and sustainable development, the U.S. scrap industry produces more than 130 million metric tons of recyclable materials each year, decreasing the amount of materials sent to landfills and cutting greenhouse gas emissions.
Recycling goes far beyond the bin at the edge of the curb. The majority of recyclable material generated in the U.S. ends its life and begins a new life at a for-profit professional scrap recycling facility. Recyclers process scrap into specification-grade products that manufacturers purchase and use in new products. The industry supports 534,000 US workers and generates approximately $117B annually in economic activity.
ISRI members range from small, family-owned firms to multinational corporations. Members benefit from a wide array of services including: safety and compliance training; networking and education; market research and reporting; regulatory and legal information; industry-specific publications; and industry representation.
ISRI is seeking a mission-focused, highly consultative sales professional to achieve and surpass member recruitment goals. Leveraging cross-functional relationships with staff and chapter volunteer leaders, the Manager will target, engage and acquire new members through innovative pipeline development strategies. With a mix of digital outreach and public speaking engagements, the Manager will design a compelling messaging campaign that promotes the value of ISRI membership to processors and consumers in the recycling industry as well as industry vendors.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience in market segmentation, lead generation, CRM data mining and consultative service sales (rather than product sales). Bringing to the table a unique blend of entrepreneurial thinking, relationship building, analytical abilities, listening skills and emotional resilience, the Manager will exhibit capabilities in creatively targeting new markets, cross-promoting sales opportunities, and selling value differentiators to diverse market segments.
- Plans, creates, manages, and executes new member recruitment campaigns
- In collaboration with staff and volunteers, takes the lead in developing and maintaining a pipeline of member prospects
- Effectively uses the AMS to develop data analytics in support of sales strategies
- Leverages staff and volunteer relationships with prospects in sales outreach
- Collaborates with chapter leaders for local member recruitment efforts
- Monitors trade press for acquisitions, divestitures, staff appointments and promotions; maintains a program of congratulatory outreach
- Represents ISRI at association and industry events/trade shows, promoting the value of ISRI membership at the national and chapter levels
- Conducts prospect and chapter visits as appropriate
- Assists in conducting member engagement and retention calls
- Provides general member relations support and assistance to the Membership Department
- Other duties as assigned
These are the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors needed to competently do the job:
- Confident, self-starter capable of exhibiting independent judgement while working as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written persuasive communication skills
- Excellent customer service ethic; easily develops and maintains collaborative internal and external relationships
- Diplomatic and flexible in working with different personalities and approaches to a situation
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities effectively and professionally with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to seize opportunities and resolve problems
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient in working with an association management system (AMS)
- Experienced user of mass email programs such as RealMagnet, ConstantContact, etc.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of three years’ experience in successful membership sales for an association or service sales in another industry
- Demonstrated prior success in achieving growth by executing sales strategies
- Three or more years’ experience with public speaking / delivering presentations to groups
- Demonstrated experience in developing leads, maintaining a pipeline of prospects, and closing sales
- Understanding of advocacy, how it impacts members, and how it creates value
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to document complicated processes
- At least two years of experience working in netFORUM Enterprise or similar AMS/CRM, such as Personify, Aptify or Salesforce
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time to ISRI and industry events and conferences
- More than three years’ experience in member recruitment for a trade association
- Knowledge or experience in the scrap recycling industry
- Experience writing custom queries in an AMS
This is a retained search. Please submit a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in the role and in the mission of ISRI, along with a resume customized to reflect your relevant competencies. Applications should be sent to Shira Harrington, Chief Engagement Officer, Purposeful Hire, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.