Ethics Resource Center, Arlington, VA (Crystal City)
Engage in PR that makes a difference. As a socially-responsible public relations professional, you have a unique opportunity to promote the mission of The Ethics Resource Center, dedicated to the advancement of organizational ethics in corporate America. For more than 88 years, this nonprofit (now 7 staff) has worked tirelessly to educate chief ethics and compliance officers, policymakers, academicians and various key stakeholders on current and emerging trends in the ethics field. Their goal is to be a resource for institutions committed to a strong ethical culture.
While their successes abound, their efforts have been largely unknown by many segments in the C-suite community, policymakers and the media. Your mission will be to broaden public awareness and create a brand identity so that they are regarded as the resource for best practices in corporate ethics. Your success will be evaluated on your ability to create brand awareness of ERC among C-suite executives to prepare them for ethical crises before they occur, then bridge the connection between Capitol Hill and corporations before legislation is drafted (such as Sarbanes-Oxley) that will directly affect corporate ethics practices.
To accomplish these goals, you will utilize media relations (radio, TV and print), web communications, fundraising, social media and other PR channels to promote their products and services such as their national corporate ethics surveys and their Fellows program. You will supervise two part-time staff: a web professional and a writer. Your initial objective will be to create a communications plan that can be executed within the first month.
- Develop, distill and promote the ERC brand utilizing a variety of means depending upon opportunity and resources.
- Ensure that ERC develops a corporate identity that can be reflected in collateral materials.
- Act as ERC’s media contact and spokesperson in order to build relationships with target media, respond to media inquiries, initiate media angles and pitch story ideas.
- Work with and manage ERC contractors who provide support services in areas such as web development, graphic design, and writing.
- Advance ERC research and publications by increasing distribution levels.
- Work with ERC President and staff to enhance brand value of ERC stakeholders.
- Serve as an in-house writer for news releases, speeches, statements, and testimony.
- Provide training and editing services to ERC staff to raise the organization’s level of communication.
- Advance ERC’s public policy agenda by promoting ERC on Capitol Hill, fostering relationships with existing contacts and pursuing any potential opportunities.
- Leverage the ERC President’s travel in an effort to create media or promotion opportunities.
- Identify speaking venues that advance the strategic agenda of the organization.
- Contribute to and oversee the consistent advancement of the ERC website and other social media.
- Bachelor’s degree + minimum 5 years public relations / media relations experience
- Existing media relationships with major publications (eg. Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Business Week, Politico, Roll Call) preferred.
- Familiarity with Capitol Hill and ethics issues related to corporate community preferred
- Mission driven / corporate socially responsibility mindset
- Entrepreneurial, passionate about building a small organization
- Resourceful, “make lemonade out of lemons” approach
- Polished corporate image – able to effectively present to board of directors
Salary: $75,000 (note: compensation reflects small budget size; comparable with “manager” level at larger organization)
For Immediate Consideration:
This is a retained search. Email cover letter describing interest in corporate ethics, resume reflecting specific job requirements (especially media relations successes) to Shira Harrington, Founder & President, Purposeful Hire at email@example.com.