American Chemical Society
The American Chemical Society has a unique opportunity for an innovative marketing brand strategist to drive the retention of its more than 163,000 chemist members worldwide. Through analysis of market demographics, identification of value propositions for target audiences and streamlining the membership renewal process, this role will support the achievement of Board-established membership goals.
The division of Membership and Scientific Advancement (M&SA) in which this position resides, is responsible for recruiting, retaining and recognizing membership by providing an integrated suite of benefits. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Membership Marketing, the new Manager will be a critical change agent in the development of new retention initiatives including recognition programs and affinity partnerships. In collaboration with the market research and recruitment teams along with other M&SA departments which provide the products, programs and services to support the value proposition of ACS, the new Manager will drive key stakeholder engagement toward the goal of member brand loyalty.
This position will supervise two staff.
Skills and Abilities
- The ideal candidate will possess a college degree with at least 7 years of marketing experience, a strong revenues-driven mindset and will be experienced in business-to-consumer (B-C) customer retention programs. Corporate marketing background preferred.
- Experience developing and managing highly sophisticated customer service processes is strongly desired because ensuring accurate and timely delivery of the membership renewal series is critical to the success of this role.
- Demonstrated results using market testing, market analytics and marketing strategy is paramount. Must have the ability to identify niche target markets and develop unique recognition programs for members.
- A confident, highly relational personality is essential to engage and influence key stakeholders across the M&SA division.
- Excellent supervisory and performance coaching skills required.
1) Responsible for the strategic planning and direction of member retention programs in order to meet membership goals in accordance with the ACS strategic plan. Programs include member renewals, recognition programs, and other communications plans.
2) Based on strategic direction of retention programs, oversee execution of efforts delivered by mail, email, telemarketing, and the web in order to insure effectiveness. Negotiate vendor contracts.
3) Create and maintain reports on unpaid and dropped members to facilitate the achievement of year-end membership number. Provide projections and report actuals to assistant director.
4) Analyze results of retention programs in order to make informed decisions and formulate direction of future efforts.
5) Subject matter expert on Online Member Renewal (OMR). Oversee day-to-day function.
6) In coordination with other ACS business units, develop the new member communication plan, including new member packet and various emails designed to communicate the value of ACS membership. Oversee compilation and production of online member handbook.
7) Manage the ACS products, programs, and services exhibit at national meetings. Coordinate the presence of the Society brand and appropriate highlighted benefits on a rotating basis.
8) Responsible for revenue goals of affinity partnership programs.
9) Plan and manage the annual budget(s) for the areas managed.
10) Coordinates the exhibit for all ACS programs, products, and services at ACS national meetings.
11) Provides guidance to the governance committee. Makes written and oral presentations as required.
Salary: $90,000 + excellent benefits