American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.)
Silver Spring, MD (metro accessible)
A.S.P.E.N. is a leading scientific society dedicated to improving patient care by advancing the science and practice of clinical nutrition and metabolism. With more than 5,500 members from around the world, A.S.P.E.N. is a community of dietitians, nurses, pharmacists, physicians, scientists, students and other health professionals from every facet of nutrition support clinical practice, research and education.
This staff of 17 fosters a highly collaborative, collegial environment which espouses empowerment and teamwork through a staff structure that supports the critical elements of their philosophy: empowerment, communication, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
Reporting to the CEO, the new Director of Membership will provide strategic direction and management of the Society’s membership programs with the support of a Membership Coordinator. This includes guiding membership development, component relations, recruitment, and retention efforts. With frequent member and volunteer interaction, the core objectives of this role are:
- Analyzing current membership trends to develop progressive membership recruitment and retention initiatives
- Driving communications and branding efforts to effectively promote membership benefits (in partnership with an external marketing consultant)
- Spearheading the creation of a component leadership program that supports the growth of their 34 chapters and 11 special interest sections
1. Develops and implements recruitment and retention programs relating to the strategy outlined by the Board of Directors.
2. In conjunction with an external marketing consultant, develops and implements a comprehensive marketing program for membership recruitment and retention, including conducting direct mail campaigns; website content and development; managing and motivating member volunteers to participate in various programs; writing and producing promotional materials; developing and directing ongoing membership marketing activities; analyzing results; and implementing new strategies and programs.
3. Responsible for the integrity and quality of membership operations, the communication of A.S.P.E.N.’s benefits, and the strategic oversight of all aspects of membership services and operations.
4. Manages and motivates members to volunteer in various programs. Leads strategies and research to identify, prioritize, cultivate, solicit, recognize and steward contributions of volunteers and volunteer leaders. Manages Call for Volunteers process for committee and task force appointments
5. Develop and support a comprehensive component relations program, including Chapters and Special Interest Sections.
6. Develop a grass-roots membership recruitment and retention campaign with the goal of growing membership and mentoring volunteer leaders into the society.
7. Analyzes membership data and information on membership trends, models, and dues revenue in comparable associations for benchmarking purposes. Generates reports from membership database for use by staff and volunteers.
8. Leads Association initiatives to build online and offline communities and knowledge networks.
9. Contributes to the formulation of association’s policies, programs and procedures and make recommendations for future development.
10. Supervises and mentors membership coordinator to successfully achieve both personal and professional goals as they relate to the strategic goals of the organization.
11. Manages and negotiates relationships with vendors to ensure appropriate product/services are delivered timely, successfully, and within budget.
12. Serves as a member of senior leadership team, and collaborates with other staff members to advance the mission of the Society. Manages relationships with other departments to coordinate numerous membership activities, operational and budgetary issues, volunteers and task force activities, and to motivate and educate staff to participate in membership promotion and development.
13. Represents Society at various conferences, meetings and networking events.
14. Develops and maintains effective relationships with staff, volunteers, and board members.
15. Prepares budgets and manages finances for all areas of responsibility.
16. Evaluates effectiveness of strategies, such as fee and membership category structures, services, materials, benefits, and policies relating to retention of current members and acquisition of new members, and recommends changes as appropriate to attain goals.
17. Develop and advance an integrated program of membership benefits and services that responds to the needs of members and supports A.S.P.E.N.’s strategic objectives
18. Manages membership database and maintains integrity of AMS.
- Bachelors degree preferred with solid experience managing membership activities within a healthcare association highly desirable.
- Minimum three years mid-level supervisory or management experience helpful
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented environment with high expectations.
- Ability to develop a focused, well-motivated team that delivers high standards of quality, performance and commitment
- Ability to meet broad goals and manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to analyze problems, plan solutions and implement decisions
- Highly organized and capable of interacting on a professional level with the society’s leadership, management and support staff.
- Experience with Association Management Software or large database programs
- Ability to travel occasionally to represent Association at conferences and attend annual conference
Salary is commensurate with small, total association budget size of approximately $3.5million. In addition, generous benefits including 100% paid single and family medical coverage, paid parking and 7.5% contribution to retirement plan after 2 years.
For immediate consideration:
This is a retained search. Email cover letter including salary requirements and resume to Shira Harrington at firstname.lastname@example.org.