COUNCIL FOR OPPORTUNITY IN EDUCATION
**Remote working opportunity**
There is a tremendous gap in educational attainment between America’s highest and lowest income students. The Council for Opportunity is dedicated to furthering the expansion of college opportunities for low-income, first-generation students and students with disabilities throughout the United States. Its membership includes more than 1,000 colleges and agencies. Through its numerous membership services, the Council works in conjunction with colleges, universities, and agencies that host TRIO programs to specifically help low-income students enter college and graduate. More than one million low-income students and students with disabilities each year receive college access and retention services through our member colleges and agencies.
The new Director of Development will spearhead fundraising strategies and foster partnerships with corporate and private funders to further two key initiatives: 1) the GO College Option initiative under COE’s i3 grant; and 2) COE’s Annual Educational Opportunity Dinner.
About GO College
Established in October 2010, GO College facilitates communication and collaboration, bringing all partners in the community together – schools, colleges, government, youth-serving agencies, and businesses – to increase the number of low-income and minority students entering and succeeding in college. With pilot programs in Louisville, KY and Erie, PA the program intends to expand to several new cities in the near term. Corporate funding and community partners are vital to this expansion. The new Director will create a business plan and facilitate the establishment of key relationships to further these efforts.
About the Annual Educational Opportunity Dinner
In conjunction with its annual conference, each year COE hosts the Educational Opportunity Dinner. The dinner serves as a fundraising event and celebration of COE’s corporate sponsors. Dinners have focused on scholarship and internship opportunities for low-income students, the work of the Louis Stokes Institute for Opportunity in STEM Education and the outstanding alumni of the TRIO programs who share how their participation in the program changed their lives. The new Director will raise funds from corporate sponsors at the Silver, Gold and Diamond levels.
- Develop and implement a business plan for GO College replication.
- Develop and execute a long-term strategy for annual fundraising.
- Develop a fundraising portfolio; regularly identify and contact new prospects.
- Work with COE staff to develop fundraising ideas and proposals.
- Staff the Annual Educational Opportunity Dinner development team.
- Meet individually with prospects and volunteers. Responsible for making meaningful progress in quality relationships with outside organizations.
- Staff and maintain close working relationships with the Corporate Advisory Committee.
- Examine ways of packaging and marketing COE programs to philanthropic supporters.
- Maintain knowledge about the external philanthropic environment as it relates to education and low-income students.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of successful development experience cultivating relationships with corporate / private foundations and high net worth donors.
- Knowledge of corporate and private foundation grant-writing process and trends of grant writing. Grant-writing experience preferred.
- Polished personal presence with excellent communication skills
- Strong ability to meet people with ease
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with tact, diplomacy, and authority as necessary
- Excellent organizational skills, well-disciplined, able to meet deadlines, self-starter
- Able to successfully manage and complete work under pressure of many priorities; ability to work effectively with volunteers.
- Ability to travel up to 50%
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION
This is a retained search. Email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Shira Harrington, Purposeful Hire at firstname.lastname@example.org.