The American College of Preventive Medicine (ACPM) is the national medical specialty society of physicians dedicated to disease prevention, health promotion and systems-based health care improvement. Established in 1954, ACPM is the leading U.S.-based physician organization focused on practice, research, publication, and teaching of evidence-based preventive medicine. ACPM’s 2,500+ members are leaders in a variety of health settings, including state and local health departments, federal agencies, hospitals, health plans, community and migrant health centers, industrial sites, occupational health centers, academic centers, private practice, and the military. They possess the skills needed to understand and reduce the risks of disease, disability and death in individuals and in population groups.
ACPM is accepting applications for a senior manager, membership engagement and innovation. The successful candidate will think strategically and creatively to help ACPM capitalize on the growing focus placed on disease prevention, health promotion, and population management to expand ACPM membership among physicians.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to handle all membership responsibilities for the association, including membership acquisition and engagement; strategic alignment and value creation; member communications, marketing, and customer service; AMS management, data mining, and analytics; volunteer engagement and committee membership; and membership budget and financial management.
The senior manager, membership engagement and innovation, will be the primary source of knowledge, intelligence and decision making as it relates to membership-related functions and activities for ACPM. Working closely with the Membership Committee, the senior manager will be responsible for leading execution of organizational strategic priorities related to membership, and refining and executing the membership marketing, recruitment, and retention plans. Specific responsibilities will include:
Membership Acquisition and Engagement
- Explore potential membership markets, design cutting-edge strategies for recruitment, and expand ACPM membership among physicians. ACPM currently has approximately 2,600 members with the potential for 8,000 among board-certified preventive medicine physicians and many more among other physician specialties.
- Improve membership retention and renewal through identification and implementation of strategies to engage members, and cultivate ambassadors.
- Cultivate opportunities for membership acquisition and retention through collaboration with ACPM staff, member volunteers and collegial organizations.
- Develop and utilize analytics and tools to measure member touch points with association events, products and services and design / deliver new member value initiatives, products and services.
Strategy Development/Alignment and Value Creation
- Align membership benefits and initiatives to ACPM’s mission and strategic plan.
- Appropriately allocate association’s available resources to deliver maximum value to members.
- Inspire and motivate ACPM staff toward continuous member engagement and value creation.
Member Communications, Marketing, and Customer Service
- Conceive and implement effective marketing strategies, including targeted messaging to new membership markets, branding, multiple media and incentives.
- Promote ACPM membership onsite at events, including exhibiting at ACPM’s annual meeting and Board Review Course and at collegial organization events, to promote membership, programs and services.
- Use social media channels regularly to disseminate preventive medicine information, promote activities, and demonstrate the value of membership. Track and report monthly statistics.
- Employ engaging customer service to serve member needs.
- Promptly respond to daily member communications (by phone, fax and email), and provide staff with feedback from members about programs and services.
Data Mining and Analytics
- Leverage ACPM’s Association Management System to segment members and design programs based on collected data.
- Evaluate and implement robust data mining and tracking tools to analyze member demographics and engagement trends and provide reports for performance dashboard tracking.
- Develop and execute member surveys to assure data-driven recruitment and retention strategies.
- Work with IT Manager to leverage technology, including membership website, database, and reporting tools to produce reports on membership engagement.
Volunteer Engagement/Committee Management
- Manage and cultivate volunteers as a resource to achieve and enhance membership goals.
- Serve as the primary staff liaison to several staff committees and sections (Membership, Ethics, Nominations/Awards, Young Physician Section, Resident Physician Section, and Medical Student Section). Provide conference call and events support.
- Assist staff in identifying members for service as expert reviewers and representatives on national panels.
- Work with Executive Director and nominating/awards committee to prepare yearly slate of candidates for officers and Board elections; conduct and monitor election/results; and identify, select, and honor ACPM award winners.
- Manage Fellowship application and review process, including compiling and documenting candidate requirements and facilitating Membership Committee review.
Budget Development and Financial Management
- Understand and implement financial metrics as they relate to member acquisition, lifetime value, renewal, retention, and the cost of membership benefits.
- Prepare annual budget projections for membership department activities.
- Ensure budget adherence for all membership programs and services.
- Assure proper coding and submission of membership invoices to accounts payable.
Minimum requirements for this position include five years’ experience as an association membership professional, preferably in a professional society. Demonstrated track record conceiving and executing successful recruitment and retention campaigns. Exceptional member relations and customer service skills, with proven ability to represent the association to its members and other constituent groups. Extraordinary time management skills required. Strong written and oral communication skills. Experience with new AMS systems, particularly cloud/software-as-a-service (SAAS) systems, a plus. Experience or familiarity with medical societies a plus, though not a requirement. Candidate must be able to travel for two weeks annually (to attend ACPM’s annual meeting and board review course for one week at a time), and occasionally to exhibit at collegial organization events.
ACPM offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send salary requirements, cover letter, and résumé to Shira Harrington, Purposeful Hire, Inc. at email@example.com. This is a retained search. All candidates must submit applications through Purposeful Hire, Inc.