Director, Early Career Market Segment Management
AAAS, Washington, DC
AAAS seeks to advance science, engineering, and innovation throughout the world for the benefit of all people. The board of directors has adopted a major transformation initiative which includes dramatically increasing our membership. This role has been designed to lead the transformation within the Early Career segment.
The director serves as the segment lead and subject matter expert for AAAS. Working cross functionally, the director is responsible for the development of an overall segment strategy and execution plans that increases member growth, retention, engagement and loyalty to meet specific annual member and revenue goals.
- Continuous quest for deeper understanding about the needs, drivers and motivations of early career professionals including science graduate students, post docs, and scientists in their first five years of employment. Develops a deep understanding of the prospects, current and former members, competitors and the environment to build a strategy and plans to drive membership and revenue growth in the segment. Assures cross departmental support and buy-in.
- Oversees research through primary mixed methods and secondary research. This includes extracting member and other sources of data, analyzing profiles, and empirical testing, to determine market segment requirements
- Identifies long and short term growth opportunities and gaps; opportunities for new services and delivery channels to meet member needs. Assess on-going marketing mix to drive optimal performance. Spearheads the development of business cases and go forward strategy to drive segment expansion activities that deliver more value to members, increasing average revenue per member.
- Provide insight and expertise to other departments to addresses diverse, complex, and crucial business decisions.
- Works with the marketing department to develop targeted offerings and marketing campaigns based on customer profiles. Oversees development of key messages that align with the goals, target audiences, and brand.
- Provides oversight for the implementation of marketing initiatives supporting the annual membership recruitment & retention plan. This includes the tracking, analysis, synthesis and reporting results. Develop and manages annual marketing budgets.
- Provides insight and support for the overall membership development plan. Works with the Chief Membership Officer and other members of the membership team to drive member value and champion member needs throughout the organization. Ensures that the CMO is kept informed about progress and issues.
- PhD Scientist with an understanding of the professional needs of early career scientists
- Exceptional leadership qualities. Comfortable in driving change.
- Strong analytical/strategic planning skills with ability to synthesize multiple data points to arrive at cohesive and meaningful conclusions.
- Ability to assemble a powerful vision and clearly articulate the steps required for a compelling path forward.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner and collaborate across a broad and complex organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
· MBA degree
· Experience in an association setting
· Experience in working with scientists across disciplines
Future direct reports will be determined as needed according to successful expansion of market segment.
Measures of Success
Achievement of annual goals for:
- Membership Loyalty
- Membership Growth
- Membership Retention
- Membership Revenue
- Segment P&L
This is a retained search. Email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Shira Harrington, Purposeful Hire, Inc. at email@example.com. All candidates must be vetted by Purposeful Hire.