AAAS seeks to advance science, engineering, and innovation throughout the world for the benefit of all people. The board of directors has adopted a major transformation initiative which includes dramatically increasing our membership. This role has been designed to lead the transformation within the K-16 science educator and student segment.
The director serves as the segment lead and subject matter expert for AAAS. Working cross functionally, the director is responsible for the development of an overall segment strategy and execution plans that increases member growth, retention, engagement and loyalty to meet specific annual member and revenue P&L goals.
- Continuous quest for deeper understanding about the needs, drivers and motivations of the K-16 science educator and student segment. Develops a deep understanding of the prospects, current and former members, competitors and the environment to build a strategy and plans to drive membership and revenue growth in the segment. Assures cross departmental support and buy-in.
- Oversees research through primary mixed methods and secondary research. This includes extracting member and other sources of data, analyzing profiles, and empirical testing, to determine market segment requirements.
- Identifies long and short term growth opportunities and gaps; opportunities for new services; and new and expanded delivery channels to meet member needs. Assess on-going marketing mix to drive optimal performance. Spearheads the development of business cases and the “go forward“ strategy to drive segment expansion activities that deliver more value to members and increasing average revenue per member.
- Provide insight and expertise to other departments to addresses diverse, complex, and crucial business decisions.
- Works with the marketing department and the office of communications to develop targeted offerings and marketing campaigns based on customer profiles. Oversees development of key messages that align with the goals, target audiences, and brand.
- Provides oversight for the implementation of marketing initiatives supporting the annual membership recruitment and retention plan. This includes the tracking, analysis, synthesis and reporting results. Develop and manages annual marketing and engagement
- Provides insight and support for the overall membership development plan. Works with the Chief Membership Officer and other members of the membership team to drive member value and champion member needs throughout the organization. Ensures that the CMO is kept informed about progress and issues.
- Minimum 8 years’ senior-level segment marketing experience including market plan development and contemporary marketing methods (digital, social, etc)
- Experience targeting K-16 educators and students including an understanding of how purchases are made within the teaching market, and particularly within the K-12 sector.
- Demonstrated experience using market analytics to develop services for market segment.
- Success managing P&L and achieving revenue targets.
- Exceptional leadership qualities. Comfortable in driving change.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic and tactical direction of membership strategies resulting in member growth, increased revenue, and ongoing loyalty.
- Strong analytical/strategic planning skills with ability to synthesize multiple data points to arrive at cohesive and meaningful conclusions.
- Ability to assemble a powerful vision and clearly articulate the steps required for a compelling path forward.
- Deep expertise in market segment planning. Experience in working collaboratively, thinking strategically, and complex project management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner and collaborate across a broad and complex organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
· MBA degree
· Experience in an association setting
· Experience in working with science educators and students
Future direct reports will be determined as needed according to successful expansion of market segment.
Measures of Success
Achievement of annual goals for:
- Membership Loyalty
- Membership Growth
- Membership Retention
- Membership Revenue
- Segment P&L
This is a retained search. Email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Shira Harrington, Purposeful Hire, Inc. at email@example.com. All candidates must be vetted by Purposeful Hire.