The Fertilizer Institute
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Reporting to the Vice President of Public Affairs, the Director will develop and implement communications, messaging and marketing plans to promote TFI’s 4R nutrient stewardship and fertilizer industry sustainability initiatives. This role requires a strategic mindset and the ability to collaborate with department and cross departmental teams. The ideal candidate will have agri-marketing experience.
4R Nutrient Stewardship
- Lead the development and execution of strategies to promote the 4R Nutrient Stewardship framework to the fertilizer industry including retailers and manufacturers. Develop content for successful campaigns to promote the 4R’s. Identify and tell compelling retailer stories using multiple channels (video, social media, collateral, earned media). Measure results, analyze data, and identify opportunities to adjust and continually improve outreach efforts.
- Develop and execute plans to promote the 4R Nutrient Stewardship framework to farmers. Identify and tell compelling farmer stories using multiple channels (video, social media, collateral, earned media). Measure results, analyze data, and identify opportunities to adjust and continually improve farmer-focused outreach efforts.
- Develop and manage public relations programs to support TFI’s outreach to NGO’s and other nutrient stewardship influencer groups. Collaborate with the communication staff of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) to meet the strategic goals of the TFI-TNC Memorandum of Understanding.
- Manage all aspects of the 4R (nutrientstewardship.org and 4RFarming.org) websites and social media feeds. Regularly report on web and social media metrics.
- Develop and execute media relations initiatives to support department goals.
- Work with TFI’s Director of Marketing to ensure that the value of TFI’s work in the stewardship and sustainability arena is recognized by the industry.
- Work with TFI’s Director of Political Communication to support policy outreach with relevant 4R and industry sustainability materials.
- Work with TFI’s Senior Director of Conferences to ensure that TFI’s InfoAg and 4R Summit meetings are leveraged to promote the 4R brand.
- Serve as the gatekeeper for the 4R brand with industry members and stakeholders, including working with state and regional 4R Certification program leads to ensure consistent branding.
- Manage the production, marketing and distribution of TFI’s 4R publications (print and electronic). Work with 4R team members to evaluate legacy International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI) publications for re-branding or distillation. Identify information gaps and propose solutions. Work with TFI’s Director of Information Technology and order fulfillment contractor to ensure smooth operation of the online store.
- Participate in 4R team meetings, as well as TFI 4R and Communication Committee meetings and conference calls.
- Work with the Vice President of Stewardship and Sustainability to establish clear measures of success.
State of the Industry
- Manage the production of TFI’s State of the Fertilizer Industry sustainability report to include writing, editing and managing all aspects of report production.
- Develop and execute multi-channel communication plans aimed at promoting report content and raising the fertilizer industry’s reputation as a sustainability leader.
- Excellent facilitation, listening, oral and written communications skills. Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Strategic thinking yet comfortable engaging in the tactical work of daily communications.
- Knowledge of both traditional and digital marketing and advertising best practices, and an eagerness to stay abreast of new technologies in this regard.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills to influence internal and external audiences.
- Innovative approaches to develop creative communications campaigns, both traditional and digital.
- A commitment to teamwork and to advancing the industry with one voice.
- Ability to manage multiple external contractors.
- Proficiency in evaluating communication campaign trends based on data.
- Basic knowledge of design, layout, and publishing principles.
- Creative approaches to marketing challenges.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Experience in agriculture is highly desired.
For immediate consideration, email a cover letter describing your commitment to agriculture sustainability and stewardship, and your resume to Shira Lotzar at firstname.lastname@example.org