Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox P.L.L.C.
Named for several years as a “great place” to work by The Washington Post and Washington Business Journal, Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox P.L.L.C. is proud to be one of the most highly regarded intellectual property specialty law firms in the world. We recognize that it is the talent and dynamism of each individual at Sterne Kessler that makes that possible. With that in mind, we have cultivated an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and intellectually stimulating with just the right touch of fun and exuberance. We offer a competitive compensation package with excellent benefits and are Metro-accessible in a prime downtown location with many nearby restaurants and shops.
What do we need?
We are seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our high-performing Talent Management team. This is a newly-created position and is an excellent opportunity for a motivated self-starter to design and deliver next-level programming and processes.
The Human Resources manager has an important role in developing and managing the policies and practices that drive an engaged, inclusive culture where employees can work to their full potential. This role will collaborate with the recruiting, benefits, and professional development functions to facilitate the onboarding, development, management, and retention of our staff.
How will you make an impact?
- Creating comprehensive human resources policies and procedures that comply with federal and state laws and updating as necessary.
- Managing and resolving employee relations issues; conducting effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
- Designing and facilitating orientation for new hires.
- Assessing training needs for professional staff; working with internal and external resources to obtain appropriate training curriculum; collaborating with Professional Development on delivery of common topics.
- Managing the annual performance management program; coordinating with Professional Development staff on design and implementation.
- Administering employee engagement surveys and planning initiatives to build employee engagement within the firm; analyzing results for presentation to senior leadership.
- Conducting exit interviews for professional staff; analyzing interview data for themes and sharing with leadership as appropriate.
- Maintaining knowledge of legal requirements related to HR, reducing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Overseeing maintenance, communication and destruction of personnel records as required by law including local governing bodies.
- Representing the firm on any unemployment claims.
- Maintaining the employee handbook with updated information, as needed.
What will you bring to the role?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in Human Resource Management with a strong organizational development (OD) sensibility.
- Experience driving a highly engaged culture through people-centric performance management and employee engagement initiatives.
- SHRM-CP/PHR or related certification preferred
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Ability to deliver clear, concise and appropriate messages to a variety of audiences
- Ability to present training/other information to small and large groups
- Demonstrated ability to investigate employee relations issues
- Strength in project management from design to execution; ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrates the highest level of ethical behavior and maintains confidentiality
- Ability to appropriately navigate the line between employee advocacy and interests of the firm
Sterne Kessler is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply: Please complete this pre-interview questionnaire and submit, along with your cover letter (including compensation expectations) and resume, to Shira Lotzar at firstname.lastname@example.org