American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.)
Silver Spring, MD (metro accessible)
A.S.P.E.N. is a leading scientific society dedicated to improving patient care by advancing the science and practice of clinical nutrition and metabolism. With more than 5,500 members from around the world, A.S.P.E.N. is a community of dietitians, nurses, pharmacists, physicians, scientists, students and other health professionalsfrom every facet of nutrition support clinical practice, research and education.
The next publications director will direct the development and management of new and existing publications including books, electronic practice tools and resources, and their two bi-monthly, highly respected scholarly journals, The Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (JPEN) and Nutrition in Clinical Practice (NCP). The director is responsible for the effective leadership, management and operations of the publications department, including hands-on leadership of book and electronic resource publishing, publication sales, and the two peer-reviewed journals. This position has the responsibility for the production and quality of print and electronic products from concept development to completion.
This staff of 17 fosters a highly collaborative, collegial environment which espouses empowerment and teamwork through a staff structure that supports the critical elements of their philosophy: empowerment, communication, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Bachelor degree required (concentrations that focus on publishing or communications preferred)
- Must have seasoned publishing experience within a STM (science, technology or medical) professional association producing both peer review journals AND non-journal publications (such as books and magazines)
- Experience with or strong interest in new media publishing such as apps, podcasts and e-books
- Strong editing and writing skills, including book development, line editing, copyediting, project management, and book production
- Experience managing volunteer scientific peer reviewers
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current issues in association and scholarly journal publishing, including use of the Internet, pricing, and dissemination issues
- Demonstrated expertise in publications, including budgeting, printing, editorial and production management, and related technologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and diplomacy
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented environment with high expectations.
- Capable of interacting with the society’s leadership, management and support staff.
- Ability to travel occasionally and attend annual conference
Salary is commensurate with small budget size of approximately $3.5million. In addition, generous benefits including 100% paid single and family medical coverage, paid parking and 7.5% contribution to retirement plan after 2 years. Teleworking is available 2 days / week.
For immediate consideration:
This is a retained search. Email cover letter including salary requirements and resume to Shira Harrington at firstname.lastname@example.org.